14 March 2013

Mascara Drama: Revlon's Grow Luscious Plumping Mascara

Revlon's Grow Luscious Plumping Mascara


It has been a while since my last blog post. I've been busy trying new products, attending makeup sessions in London and working away like a busy bee! So to mark my return, I wanted to share with you all a mascara which has recently hit the market in the UK.

When I bought Revlon's Grow Luscious Plumping Mascara, from the in-store display, I thought it promised to encourage your own eyelashes to grow longer. Products to encourage eyelash growth have been on the market for a while, but when I saw this mascara on the high street I naturally had to try it and tipped my hat to Revlon for their ingenuity. I've always been told that my eyelashes are pretty long anyway (one makeup artist actually asked me if I had used a product to encourage growth - that's actually when I discovered that such products even existed) but there is no harm in trying to get them longer!

Anyway, on closer inspection of the product and the fact that there is no indication of how long it should take for the lashes to demonstrate growth, I realised that in fact the product does not promise to encourage lash growth, but actually just promises to volumise your lashes, and has a conditioner to keep your lashes, well, .... conditioned. I suppose the caveat to this clever marketing is that Revlon promises that the mascara has a "lash enhancing complex that conditions your lashes day after day" which I suppose in turn could be taken to encourage growth because conditioned lashes are more likely to grow longer? I'm making this up as I go along... It is a bit of cheek really, because I was gunning for a revolutionary product from Revlon but in spite of all the promises, I think it is generally just a shoddy mascara. I am kicking myself really - I should have known better but I was fooled by the packaging and the marketing. It doesn't do a lot for my lashes and the wand as well as the brush head both feel and look cheap. The mascara makes my lashes clump a bit but in a 'sticky' way that is difficult to separate - that must be the conditioner getting to work...

Anyway, I'm going to give the mascara another go to see if I can be persuaded. After all, it was £9.99, and so far doesn't stand up to my favourite mascara at the moment Max Factor's 2000 Calories Mascara which is a snip at £7.99 (I absolutely LOVE it). There is a recommended technique to applying Revlon's Grow Luscious mascara which I have not yet tried; namely, you are meant to apply just to the tips first and allow to dry, then reapply by wiggling from the roots. I launched straight in with wiggling from the roots when I used it, so maybe a change of technique will produce better results. Will update you all to let you know how I get on.

xXx

Let me know if you have tried this mascara, and tell me your thoughts...

1 comment:

  1. As promised...

    Since posting this blog post, I have since tried using Revlon's Grow Luscious Plumping Mascara once again. This time I followed the rules by starting with applying the mascara to the tips of my lashes, allowing to dry and then reapplying from the roots upwards, using the classic "wiggle wiggle" routine. I have to say, I am still largely unimpressed.

    However, some good points about the mascara are that it does have staying power and doesn't crumble or flake off around the eyes. It just doesn't volumise or separate lashes in the way most Max Factor mascaras do.

    Final verdict = not persuaded.

    xXx

    ReplyDelete